No one wants to feel self-conscious about his or her smile. If teeth do not appear straight and healthy, you are less likely to share your smile with those you care about. Crooked teeth can negatively affect your confidence and the overall image you have of yourself. Furthermore, misalignment can cause or exacerbate other problems.
According to one survey, issues related to misaligned teeth include:
- Lower self-esteem and shyness
- Excessive wear
- Increase in cavities and gum inflammation due to ineffective cleaning
- Jaw and head discomfort
- Speech difficulties such as lisping
While a more attractive smile and healthier teeth sounds nice, the process of getting there presents a problem for many people. Brackets and wires that are both visible and uncomfortable can be quite unappealing. We believe in offering the best possible care, and are proud to bring the option of Invisalign to patients of our Athens office.
Invisalign is named so because the system consists of nearly invisible plastic aligners made from durable, clear material. The protocol calls for constant wear of the aligners except for meals and oral hygiene. However, patients may leave aligners out for short periods of time on special occasions. This habit is discouraged unless absolutely necessary, such as an important event during which you want an all-natural smile.
The Invisalign system has been widely used since it gained FDA approval in 1998. Millions of teens and adults have achieved their desired appearance through this method. The benefits of Invisalign are sought by patients of all ages:
- Removable aligners make it easy to maintain oral health
- When in place, aligners are usually not noticed by anyone other than the patient
- Because they can be removed, aligners do not inhibit normal eating habits
- Fewer visits are needed to complete a treatment plan
- Without wires or brackets, Invisalign is a more comfortable process